Concept

Shanghai International Studies University

Summary
Shanghai International Studies University (SISU; ) is China's leading university in linguistics, cultural studies, and global and area studies. Established in December 1949, SISU is known for being one of the earliest institutions where China's higher education in foreign languages took shape. It was listed in the Double First Class University identified by the Ministry of Education and former Project 211. As of 2021, Shanghai International Studies University ranked no.3 nationwide among universities specialized in language teaching and research in the widely recognized Best Chinese Universities Ranking. After the founding of the People's Republic of China in 1949, the East China office of the Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party (中共中央华东局) and the government of the Shanghai Municipality decided to establish an institute for higher education in Russian studies to cultivate qualified diplomats and translators for international affairs. With the support of Mayor Chen Yi, the Shanghai Russian School (上海俄文学校) was officially established in December 1949. Jiang Chunfang, one of the most famous Russian translators in China and the first chief editor of the Encyclopedia of China, was appointed the school's first president. In 1950, the department of English was established and the college was incorporated as the foreign language school affiliated to the East China People's Revolution University (华东人民革命大学). The department of oriental language and literature was founded in April, 1951 and languages as Burmese, Vietnamese, Indonesian had respectively been introduced to teaching. Later in 1952, a nationwide restructuring of institutes of higher education began in China, and the department of oriental language and literature was incorporated into Peking University. The college was renamed as Shanghai Russian College that specialise in teaching Russian language. The university was used to be widely known as Shanghai Foreign Language Institute (上海外国语学院) since its expansion in 1956 and became a national key university approved by the State Council in 1963 with the department of Russian, English (re-established), French, German, Japanese, Arabic and Spanish.
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading

Related MOOCs

Loading