Concept

Woodhouse, Leeds

Summary
Woodhouse is a largely residential area just north of the city centre of Leeds and close to the University of Leeds. It is in the Hyde Park and Woodhouse ward of City of Leeds metropolitan district. The population of the ward at the 2011 Census was 25,914. History The name Woodhouse is first attested around the 1170s as Wd(e)husa, Wd(e)huse, and Wudeusum. It is likely to derive from Old English wudu 'wood' and hūs 'houses'. Locals refer to it as Wudhus. It was described in 1853 as a "large and handsome village". The original Woodhouse area of Leeds extended in a wide horseshoe arc travelling north from Burley Street (where it is known as Little Woodhouse), up along Clarendon Road, including the current site of the University of Leeds, across Woodhouse Moor (now a public park), then on towards its northernmost boundary, the steeply banked woodland of Woodhouse Ridge part of the Meanwood Valley Trail, and the Forest of Leeds, where the area was known as Woodhouse Cliff to the
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading