Concept

Kruzof Island

Summary
Kruzof Island (остров Крузов) is an island in the Alexander Archipelago in southeastern Alaska at . It is about west of Sitka, and is part of the City and Borough of Sitka. It was named in 1805 by Captain U.T. Lisianski as Crooze Island, after a Russian Admiral. It hosts the region's only volcano, Mount Edgecumbe. In 1849, Captain Tebenkov recorded the Tlingit name for the island as being Tlikh. Naming history Before being named by Lisianski, it was called San Jacinto after its highest point, Mount Edgecumbe, was named Montaña de San Jacinto by Don Juan de la Bodega y Quadra in 1775. La Pérouse referred to that name by calling the island St. Hyacinthe. Captain Nathaniel Portlock named the island Pitt Island in 1787. Early Russian traders called it Sitka Island. In 1849, Constantin Grewingk called the island Edgecumbe. It later became known as Kruzow Island before finally becoming Kruzof Island. Geograph
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading