Concept

Petermann Island

Summary
Petermann Island is a small, low and rounded island, lying off the northwest coast of Kyiv Peninsula in Graham Land, Antarctica, a short distance south of Booth Island and the Lemaire Channel. It is a popular tourist destination. The island is long and across. It rises steeply to elevations of up to from a rocky coastline with raised pebble beaches. It has volcanic origins, with about half the land surface covered by a permanent, crevassed icecap. Ice-free areas have a sparse vegetation of mosses and lichens. The bedrock of the island is granodiorite, The island was discovered by a German expedition of 1873–74, who named it after geographer August Petermann. The French Antarctic Expedition of 1908-10 wintered over aboard ship in a cove on the southeast side of the island, named Port Circumcision because it was spotted 1 January 1909, the traditional day for the Feast of the Circumcision. Huts built by the expedition are gone, although a cairn remains, along with a refuge hut built by Argentina in 1955, and a cross commemorating three members of the British Antarctic Survey who died in a 1982 attempt to cross the sea ice from Petermann to Faraday Station. A large number of locations on the island have been individually charted and named. Unless otherwise specified, the following features were first charted by the French Antarctic Expedition during their winter on the island, and named by Captain Jean-Baptiste Charcot. Rouch Point forms the northwest end of Petermann Island. It was named for Jules Rouch, the expedition's oceanographer. Godfroy Point marks the northern extremity of the island. It was named by Captain Charcot for Rene Godfroy, sub-lieutenant on the Pourquoi-Pas. Liouville Point marks the northeast end of the island. It was named for J. Liouville, the expedition's zoologist. Depeaux Point forms the south end of the island. Port Circumcision is a cove indenting the southeast side of Petermann Island. It was discovered on January 1, 1909. In the Roman Catholic calendar, this date is the Feast of the Circumcision of Christ, for which Captain Charcot named the cove.
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading

Related MOOCs

Loading