New Gloucester is a town in Cumberland County, Maine, United States. It is home to the Sabbathday Lake Shaker Village, the last active Shaker village in the U.S. The town's population was 5,676 at the 2020 census.
New Gloucester is part of Maine's Portland–South Portland–Biddeford, metropolitan statistical area.
New Gloucester was established in 1736 under a Massachusetts Bay Colony grant of a tract of land in the Maine Territory to sixty inhabitants of the Gloucester fishing village on Cape Ann. The first settlers followed the road newly bushed out from North Yarmouth and built cabins on Harris Hill between 1739 and 1742. The settlement was abandoned from 1744–1751 due to the heightened native tribe attacks during King George's War.
Settlers returned and in 1753 commenced work on a two-story, fifty-foot square blockhouse with a palisade stockade on a side. This was home to twelve families for six years. The men worked at clearing the surrounding o