Bowdoin is a town in Sagadahoc County, Maine, United States. The population was 3,136 at the 2020 census.
Bowdoin is 31 land miles north of Portland, and 21 land miles south of Augusta (Maine’s state capital).
Bowdoin was part of a tract of land extending from Merrymeeting Bay to the Androscoggin River that was conveyed in 1752 by the Kennebec Company to William Bowdoin of Boston, older brother of James Bowdoin. Originally called West Bowdoinham Plantation, it was settled some years before the Revolutionary War. In 1773, William Bowdoin died, and by 1779 James Bowdoin had legal claim to the area and was granting deeds. It contained about 121 families when the town was incorporated by the Massachusetts General Court on March 21, 1788, named after the Bowdoin family. In 1799, it ceded land to form Thompsonborough, whose name changed in 1802 to Lisbon. In 1834, it ceded more territory to Lisbon.
Bowdoin developed as an agricultural town, raising sheep and producing app