Port Huron is a city in the U.S. state of Michigan and the county seat of St. Clair County. The population was 28,983 at the 2020 census. The city is bordered on the west by Port Huron Township, but the two are administered autonomously.
Port Huron is located along the source of the St. Clair River at the southern end of Lake Huron. The city is along the Canada–United States border and directly across the river from Sarnia, Ontario. The two cities are connected by the Blue Water Bridge at the eastern terminus of Interstate 94. Port Huron has the easternmost point of land in the state of Michigan and is also one of the northernmost areas included in the Detroit–Warren–Dearborn Metropolitan Statistical Area (Metro Detroit).
This area was long occupied by the Ojibwa people. French colonists had a temporary trading post and fort at this site in the 17th century.
In 1814, following the War of 1812, the United States established Fort Gratiot at the base of Lake Huro