North Loup is a village in North Loup Township, Valley County, Nebraska, United States. The population was 297 at the 2010 census.
In 1871, a party of Seventh Day Baptists from Wisconsin explored Valley County for settlement sites. In May 1872, they established a community near what is now North Loup. A post office and general store were established in 1873. In 1877, the town of North Loup was formally organized. The name was taken from the North Loup River, in whose valley the village lies.
In 1880, the Union Pacific Railroad completed a branch line from Grand Island to St. Paul, shortening the distance from the Valley County settlements to rail transport. In the following year, North Loup and Ord voted to issue $9,000 worth of bonds to help subsidize the railroad's extension through the two towns. The rail connection from St. Paul to North Loup was completed in 1882.
The arrival of the railroad prompted a boom in North Loup, which lasted for some four years. In th