Clarendon is a town in Orleans County, New York, United States. The population was 3,648 at the 2010 census. The name is derived from Clarendon, Vermont.
The Town of Clarendon is in the southeast part of the county. New York State Route 31A and New York State Route 237 intersect in the town.
The town was first settled circa 1811. The Town of Clarendon was created in 1820 from the town of Sweden, before Orleans County was established. It was originally known as "Farwell's Mills," a name derived from one of the first settlers, who arrived in 1810. Clarendon was once noted for its quarries and cement plants.
In late 2006, a stone church was demolished, due to a disagreement between the current owner and the town board. This historical church was built circa 1830 and served the community until 1980 when the church's contents were sold off. shortly after it was turned into an antiques & book shop. The church was a landmark for Clarendon for many years. The present owne