Averill Park is a census-designated place within the town of Sand Lake in Rensselaer County, New York, United States. The population was 2,098 at the 2020 census.
The community is named after the local Averill family. It is located on Route 43, south of Crystal Lake and east of West Sand Lake.
The Sand Lake Baptist Church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.
Originally known only as part of greater Sand Lake, the community along with neighboring towns grew with the nineteenth-century development of wool and cotton textile manufacturing by local watermills and knitting factories along the Wynants Kill tributary of the Hudson River. By the 1880s, several independent local mills produced hosiery, undergarments, and knit shirts.
The hamlet was named Averill in 1880 after a local leading family, then in 1882 renamed Averill Park in promotion of local summer-resort development and of the Troy & New England Railway, a