Findlay (ˈfɪnli ) is a city in and the county seat of Hancock County, Ohio, United States. The second-largest city in Northwest Ohio, Findlay lies about 40 miles (64 km) south of Toledo. Its population was 40,313 at the 2020 census. The principal city of the Findlay micropolitan area, it is home to the University of Findlay, and the headquarters of Fortune 100 company Marathon Petroleum, which ranks 19th.
In the War of 1812, Colonel James Findlay of Cincinnati built a road and a stockade to transport and shelter troops in the Great Black Swamp region. This stockade was named Fort Findlay in his honor. At the conclusion of the war, the community of Findlay was born. The first town lots were laid out in 1821 by future Ohio Governor Joseph Vance and Elnathan Corry.
Before the Civil War, Findlay was a stop for slaves along the Underground Railroad.
In 1861, David Ross Locke moved to Findlay, where he served as editor for the Hancock Jeffersonian newspaper until