Concept

Wapanucka, Oklahoma

Summary
Wapanucka (pronounced Wop´-uh-nuck´-uh) is a town in northeastern Johnston County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 438 at the 2010 census, a 1.6 percent decrease from the figure of 445 in 2000. It is about northeast of Tishomingo. The town name refers to the Delaware Nation and means "Eastern Land People." History The Board of Foreign Missions of the Presbyterian Church built the Wapanucka Female Manual Labour School in 1851–2. The school, which opened in 1852, was named for a nearby creek. Local residents often called it Allen's Academy, for James S. Allen, who supervised it. Later many dubbed it Rock Academy for its impressive stone building. The school closed in 1860 after the Presbyterian Board withdrew its financial support. The Confederate forces used the building during the Civil War as a hospital and a prison. After the war the academy reopened, serving male and female students. In 1890 it became a boys' school. In 1911 it was permanently closed and the p
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading