Macungie məˈkʌndʒiː is the second oldest borough in Lehigh County, Pennsylvania. As of the 2020 census, Macungie had a population of 3,257.
Macungie is a suburb of Allentown, and part of the Lehigh Valley metropolitan area, which had a population of 861,899 and was the 68th-most populous metropolitan area in the U.S. as of the 2020 census.
Macungie is derived from "Maguntsche", a place name used as early as 1730 to describe the region that is present-day Macungie and Emmaus, Pennsylvania. "Maguntsche" is a Lenape word, meaning either "bear swamp" or "feeding place of the bears". The borough's current seal depicts a bear coming to drink at water near some cattails. The Valentine Weaver House in Macungie was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
Macungie was founded as Millerstown in 1776 by Peter Miller. On November 15, 1857, the village of Millerstown was incorporated as a borough