Glen Lyon is a census-designated place (CDP) in Newport Township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 1,873 at the 2010 census.
The town of Glen Lyon was founded after anthracite coal mining began in Newport Township (ca. 1869). The colliery was operated by the Susquehanna Coal Company, a Pennsylvania Railroad property. The west side of the community was once called Morgantown; the east side was referred to as Williamstown. Later, the Glen Lyon Rail Station was established and the town was named after the terminus. Part of the east side, which was separated from the rest of the community by the railroad, became known as Canada. Roads and a streetcar line linked the town to Nanticoke and Wilkes-Barre. The streetcar line was replaced eventually by buses and automobiles as the main means of transport.
A hill divided the community into two parts. Sixth Shaft was established on the hill. Coal hoisted from that mine was moved across a bridge to