Glen Rose is a city in and the county seat of Somervell County, Texas, United States. As of the 2012 census estimate, the city population was 2,502.
The area was first settled in 1849 by Charles Barnard, who opened a trading post near Comanche Peak. After the region became a federal Indian Reservation in 1855, Barnard moved his business to Fort Belknap. Circa 1859 when the reservation was abolished, he returned to the area and built the first store on what is now the site of Glen Rose.
A three-story stone gristmill was constructed along the Paluxy River and the town that grew up around it became known as Barnard's Mill. The mill was sold to Tyler Calhoun Jordan of Dallas in 1871 for $65,000. Tradition states that Jordan's wife, a native of Scotland, decided to rename the town Rose Glen to reflect the area's natural surroundings, although census records show that she was a native of Alabama.