The Observatory of Strasbourg is an astronomical observatory in Strasbourg, France.History
This observatory is actually Strasbourg's third observatory: the first was built in 1673 on one of the city's surrounding towers (the astronomer Julius Reichelt notably played a role in its establishment), and the second in 1828 on the roof of the buildings of the Academy.Following the Franco-Prussian War of 1870–1871, the city of Strasbourg became part of the German Empire. The University of Strasbourg was refounded in 1872, and a new observatory began construction in 1875, in the Neustadt district. The main instrument was a 50 cm Repsold refractor, which saw first light in 1880 (see Great refractor). At the time this was the largest instrument in the German Empire. In 1881, the ninth General Assembly of the Astronomische Gesellschaft met in Strasbourg to mark the official inauguration.The observatory site was selected primarily for instruction purposes and politica
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.