Świdnica (ɕfidˈɲit͡sa; Schweidnitz; Svídnice; Świdńica) is a city on the Bystrzyca River in south-western Poland in the Voivodeship of Lower Silesia. As of 2021, it has a population of 55,413 inhabitants. It lies in Lower Silesian Voivodeship, being the seventh largest town in that voivodeship. It is the seat of Świdnica County, and also of the smaller district of Gmina Świdnica (although it is not part of the territory of the latter, as the town forms a separate urban gmina). Świdnica became part of the Wałbrzych agglomeration on 23 January 2014.
Świdnica is home to the St. Stanislaus and St. Wenceslaus Cathedral and the Church of Peace, two landmark churches listed as Historic Monuments of Poland with the latter also listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The city's name was first recorded as Svidnica in 1070, when it was part of Piast-ruled Poland. Świdnica became a town in 1250, although no founding documen