Concept

Jawor

Summary
Jawor 'jawor (Jauer) is a town in south-western Poland with 22,890 inhabitants (2019). It is situated in the Lower Silesian Voivodeship (from 1975 to 1998 it was in the former Legnica Voivodeship). It is the seat of Jawor County, and lies approximately west of the regional capital Wrocław. Through the town flows the 31 mile long Raging Nysa river (pl: Nysa Szalona) A Protestant Church of Peace can be found in the town. It was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2001. Jawor Castle lies in the town. History The name of the city Jawor comes from the Polish word for "sycamore maple". The earliest recorded name dates from 1133 when the city was written down as Jawr and in 1203 as Jawor. Till 16th century the name was written down in Latin in various forms such as: Iavor, Iavr, Javr, Javor, Jaur, Jaura, Jawer, Jauor. Polish form Jawor was continued to be used, for example in painting from 1562 located in church of St.Martin. Other form Iawor is recorded in document from 1248 an
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading