Chimaltenango is a city in Guatemala with a population of 96,985 (2018 census). It serves as both the capital of the department of Chimaltenango and the municipal seat for the surrounding municipality of the same name. Chimaltenango stands some west of Guatemala City, on the Pan-American Highway. The municipal capital produces textiles and pottery.
In Pre-Columbian times what is now the city of Chimaltenango was known to its native inhabitants as B'oko' . Like many other cities in the area, the Spanish Conquistadores used the name given by their Nahuatl speaking allies from central Mexico. The Nahuatl name was Chīmaltenānco, meaning "Shield City." The current town was found in 1526 by Spanish conquistador Pedro de Portocarrero, and shortly after it was assigned by bishop Francisco Marroquín to the Order of Preachers, along with Jocotenango, Jilotepeque, Sumpango, Candelaria, Amatitlán, Petapa, Mixco and Pinula. The general areas with under the jurisdiction of