Concept

Fairford railway station

Summary
Fairford railway station served the town of Fairford in Gloucestershire. It was the western terminus of the Oxford, Witney and Fairford Railway between and Fairford. It had one platform, and a stone-built station building. History The station was opened on 15 January 1873 by the East Gloucestershire Railway (EGR). It was built in open fields beside the road to Lechlade, east of Fairford. As with the stations at and , Fairford was a simple, single-platform structure, built of honey-coloured local Cotswold stone which reflected the architecture of the nearby villages. There was also a standard Great Western Railway signalbox, a Pagoda Platform Shelter and a small permanent way shed which housed a motorised trolley. Near the engine shed was a water tank and an old horsebox used as a mess hut, while a spur led to a turntable and a coaling stage. The tank was driven by a steam supplied from locomotive injectors. The station was not designed as a terminus: the line continued
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading