The First Territorial Capitol of Kansas (officially named First Territorial Capitol State Historic Site) is the sole remaining building of the ghost town of Pawnee, Kansas. The city served as the capital of the Kansas Territory for five days before it was moved to present day Lecompton, Kansas, and the town became part of neighboring Fort Riley. The building was the meeting place for the first elected Territorial Legislature in 1855. After falling into disrepair, the structure was restored in 1928 and today it serves as a history museum operated by the Kansas Historical Society and supported through The Partners of the First Territorial Capitol.
Location and construction
The capitol is located in the Kaw valley of northeastern Kansas, north of the Kansas River. It first sat along the eastern border of Fort Riley, but today is within the boundaries of the base. A site on which the building stands was provided to the Kansas Historical Society through a revocable license fr