Louisdale (pronounced Lewisdale) is an unincorporated area within the Municipality of the County of Richmond, Nova Scotia, Canada. It is located on Cape Breton Island at the centre of an Acadian region. Founded mainly by families from nearby Petit-de-Grat, its early settlers were primarily of Acadian and, from the early 19th century, Scottish descent. It has two schools, park areas, and places to eat catering to tourists and residents.
Early 19th century migrants to Richmond were mainly Scottish settlers, with fishing and farming important parts of the economy. The Louisdale area was formerly known as "Barachois St. Louis" or "The Barachois", according to archival documents. To distinguish it from other communities, the name was statutorily changed by the provincial legislature on April 7, 1905. A barachois is a term used in Atlantic Canada to describe a coastal lagoon separated from the ocean by a sand bar. The term comes from a Basque word, "barratxoa", meaning "l