The Anglican church of Christ Church, Vienna is located in central Vienna, Jaurèsgasse 17-19, off the Rennweg. Worship services are held in English on Sundays and Wednesdays. On the first Sunday of the month there is a service of Evensong (except for July and August).
Although there has been an Anglican priest in Vienna, acting as honorary chaplain to the British ambassador and ministering to the Anglican resident community, at least since the late 17th century, there has only been a permanent building since 1877. Previously services were held in the embassy chapel, from 1831 until 1874 in the Schenkenstraße and later demolished to make way for the new Burgtheater, thereafter in the new purpose-built embassy in the Metternichgasse.
From the middle of the 19th century there was a considerable increase in size of the British community living in Vienna, due especially to the establishment of ever more British businesses in Vienna as a result of closer economic ties