During the 20th century, there were numerous Czech schools in Vienna. These provided the city's large Czech population with instruction in Czech.
The first Czech primary school with attached kindergarten was opened in the Quellenstraße in Favoriten in 1883. In 1908, a technical college was also founded; it was felt that the need for this was more pressing than for a grammar school.
The Komenský association, which was responsible for these schools, struggled to obtain public status for these institutions, which would have entitled them to state funding. Although the Dezemberverfassung laws of 21 December 1867 granted every "nationality" linguistic equality and thus the right to public schooling in its language, Vienna's mayor Karl Lueger feared that the city risked becoming increasing dominated by Slavs (it is estimated that as many as 500,000 Czechs lived in the city, which had a total population of 1.6 million). The Lower Austrian parliament, which