Darlington power station refers to a series of two coal-fired power stations situated in Darlington in County Durham, North East England.
The first station was opened on the town's Haughton Road in 1900. It was positioned alongside the East Coast Main Line for the easy delivery of coal. The station needed replacing in the 1930s, and so a new station was built on the site. The station's construction cost £324,000, but was marred by numerous accidents and deaths. The new station opened in May 1940. It had three large hyperboloid reinforced concrete cooling towers and three brick built chimneys. The station had a generating capacity of 57 megawatts (MW).
By 1923 the generating plant comprised both AC and DC machinery. The AC plant included one 1,000 kW, two 3,000 kW and one 5,000 kW turbo-alternators (a total generating capacity of 12,000 kW). These supplied 3-phase, 50 Hz, AC at 6,000 volt, 230 and 460 volt current and single phase, 50 Hz,