Gilcrux is a small village and civil parish in the ceremonial county of Cumbria, England, and historically part of Cumberland. It is situated just outside the Lake District National Park.The village is on the south bank of the River Ellen around north of Cockermouth and around southwest of Carlisle the County town of Cumbria. An early record of the village is shown on a map of the Cumbria area by Christopher Saxton in 1567, in which the village is known as Gilcrosse.Etymology
The name Gilcrux may be derived from the Brittonic elements *cīl meaning "a nook/retreat", and -crṻg meaning "an isolated or abrupt hill", and may have originally meant "hill retreat". Also possible is derivation from Gaelic *cil-cruaich, "a church with a cross". The present form of the name has been influenced by Old Norse gil, "a ravine" and Latin crux, "a cross".History
Census data shows the changes in
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.