Concept

Julis, Gaza

Summary
Julis (جولس) was a Palestinian Arab village in the Gaza Subdistrict, located northeast of Gaza on a slight elevation along the southern coastal plain. In 1945, there were 1,030 inhabitants in the village. It was depopulated during the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. History Julis was built on an archaeological site whose ancient name is unknown. Potsherds from the Mamluk era have been found in the village. The village had a Maqam (shrine) which was constructed with ancient materials. Ottoman Empire Julis was incorporated into the Ottoman Empire in 1517 with the rest of Palestine, and by 1596 it was part of the nahiya of Gaza, in the Liwa of Gaza. It consisted of 204 persons (37 households), all Muslims. They paid a fixed tax-rate of 33,3 % on agricultural products, including wheat, barley, fruit, beehives, vineyards and goats; a total of 10,400 akçe. 6,5/24 of the revenue went to a Waqf. In 1838, Julis was noted as a village in the District
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading