The Champaign County Courthouse is located at 200 North Main Street in Urbana, Ohio. The courthouse is designed in the International style prevalent in the 1950s by Phillip T. Partridge. The current building is the fifth for the county. The courthouse is included within the bounds of the Urbana Monument Square Historic District, but is not a contributing property.
Champaign County was established in 1805 and the county seat was placed at Springfield. Until 1807 the courts met in the home of a local citizen, George Fithian. Unfortunately, most of the county records relating to this period of history were lost. The county seat was removed to Urbana in 1807.
Even though land was set aside for a courthouse on a public square, the courthouse was built elsewhere. This structure was a simple log house which was converted into a private home after the court relocated. During the War of 1812 the courthouse was used as an army hospital and the court was removed to the upper