Founded in 1961, Carroll Hospital is a branch of Lifebridge Health located in Westminster, Maryland. Carroll Hospital offers comprehensive medical care, with specialties including minimally invasive surgery and a state-of-the-art cancer center.
On October 1, 1961, Carroll County General Hospital opened its doors. Originally planned by local citizens in 1957, the hospital had only 50 beds with 125 employees. By the late 1960s, medical needs had increased in the community and the hospital added a North wing and a West wing.
Before 1980, another expansion added three more floors to both wings. The 159-bed facility also housed services such as Physical Therapy. The Emergency Department, X-ray Department, and Laboratory were expanded as well. Carroll County General Hospital was awarded its first two-year accreditation by JCAHO (now Joint Commission) in 1981. Throughout the decade, the hospital upgraded many services, including CT scans, pediatrics, and minimally invasive