Milazzo Airfield is an abandoned World War II military airfield on Sicily, located in the southern suburbs of Milazzo, on the northern tip of the island.Built as a temporary wartime field by Army Engineers, using Pierced Steel Planking for runways and parking and dispersal areas, and support structures being quickly constructed out of wood or tents. The following units were stationed at the base taking part in the Allied invasion of Italy from the field.
HQ, 64th Fighter Wing, 1 September-7 October 1943
31st Fighter Group, 2–21 September 1943, Supermarine Spitfire
57th Fighter Group, 12–16 September 1943, P-40 Warhawk
With the Americans pulling out and moving onto the mainland of Italy in October, engineers dismantled the airfield. Today, there are no traces, as the area around Milazzo has grown over the years, and have obliterated any trace of the airfield. It is unknown precisely where the airfield was located due to the changed landscape.
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.