John Hyacinth Power was the second Director of the McGregor Museum in Kimberley, South Africa.
Born in Waterford, Ireland on 2 November 1884, Power emigrated to South Africa in 1904 to take up a post as school master at Kimberley's Christian Brothers' College (now known as St Patrick's College). From 1920 he headed the South African School of Mines (later the Northern Cape Technical College).
Early association with the McGregor Museum
Although Power would succeed Maria Wilman as museum director only in 1947, his close association with the museum began at the time of its inception in 1907. From 1917, moreover, he became the museum's honorary curator of reptiles and amphibians, herpetology being the field in which he achieved wide renown as a regional specialist. He had been encouraged in this direction by Dr Louis Péringuey, Director of the South African Museum in Cape Town. The first of some forty publications he wrote in various fields appe