George Kynoch (22 August 1834 – 28 February 1891) was the founder of IMI plc, one of the United Kingdom's largest engineering businesses.
George Kynoch was born at Peterhead in Aberdeenshire and educated at the local school. He first worked as an insurance clerk in Glasgow and then as a bank clerk in Worcester.
After working for a while at larger bank branch in Birmingham, in 1856 he decided to join Pursall & Phillips, percussion cap manufacturers, in Birmingham. An explosion in 1859 destroyed the works, killing 19 of the 70 employees. As a result the firm moved to on four acres of land at Witton in 1862.
In 1863, Kynoch took over the business, which was subsequently renamed G. Kynoch and Co. The Lion Works, as it became known, quickly secured contracts to supply ammunition to the British and Turkish Governments. In 1884 his interests were bought