Wynndel is an unincorporated community adjacent to Duck Creek, east of the Kootenay River, in the West Kootenay region of southeastern British Columbia. The locality, on BC Highway 3A, is by road about north of Creston and southeast of Nelson.
First Nations and European explorers
The Lower Kootenay Band of the Ktunaxa Nation have occupied the region from time immemorial. Tribal members would migrate north annually and set up camp on the Wynndel flats to harvest wild berries, hunt, and later graze cattle. While surveying the Dewdney Trail in 1865, the government expeditionary party crossed the Purcell Mountains via Duck Creek. The completed trail forded the Kootenay River about west of today's Wynndel, travelled northeast and then southeast via present day Wynndel and Creston, before following the Goat River valley northeastward. By 1867, the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) post of Little Fort Shepherd (Flatbow) had been established immediately south of Wynndel on the trail. Thi