Concept

St Benet's, Paul's Wharf

Summary
The Church of St Benet Paul's Wharf is a Welsh Anglican church in the City of London, England. Since 1556, it has also been the official church of the College of Arms in which many officers of arms have been buried. In 1666 it was destroyed in the Great Fire of London, after which it was rebuilt and merged with nearby St Peter's. The current church was designed by Sir Christopher Wren. It is one of only four churches in the City of London to escape damage during World War II. History St Benet's traces its history back to the year 1111, when a church was built on the site and dedicated to St Benedict. Over time the name was became St. Benet's Paul's Wharf after the hythe where the church was located. To the west of the site was the watergate of Baynard's Castle, which is referenced in the biographies of Queen Anne Boleyn and Lady Jane Grey. Both the church and the castle were destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666. It was redesigned by the architect Christopher Wren, an
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading