Concept

Lancashire Aero Club

Summary
The Lancashire Aero Club is the oldest established flying club in the United Kingdom, it was founded in 1909 to organise the Blackpool Aviation Week, Britain's first officially recognised air show. Early history
  • October 1909: The original club was founded in Blackpool.
  • Late 1922: The club was re-formed by John F. Leeming and a group of friends who had started to build a glider in Leeming's garage at his home in Bowdon near Altrincham Cheshire. It was named "Aero Club" because at the time many racing pigeon clubs called themselves " Flying Club".
  • Early 1924: The LPW Glider was completed and was taken to Alexandra Park Aerodrome. The club flew the glider many times at Alexandra Park, launching it by towing behind a car.
  • August 1924: Alexandra Park Aerodrome closed. The club moved to Avro's Woodford Aerodrome.
  • 21 July 1925: Alan Cobham delivered the club's first powered aircraft (a de Havilland DH.60 Moth) to Woodford
  • August 1925: Another followed it.
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading