Concept

Kláštor pod Znievom

Summary
Kláštor pod Znievom (Znióváralja) is a village and municipality in Martin District in the Žilina Region of northern Slovakia, south west from Martin, near the Malá Fatra mountains. History In historical records the village was first mentioned in 1113. Its castle Zniev was built by Andrew Hont-Pázmány. From 1242 to 1249 the castle was the seat of king Béla IV of Hungary. Around the half of the 13th century, the settlement got town privileges as the first one in the Turiec region, but it lost them in 1666 during at the times of reformation and counter-reformation. In the second half of the 19th century, Kláštor pod Znievom became one of the centres of Slovak national movement, as one of three Slovak high schools was opened here in 1869, but was closed down in 1874 as a result of the Magyarization policy. Geography The municipality lies at an altitude of 500 metres and covers an area of 39.029 km². It has a population of about 1577 people. People *Alexan
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading