Concept

Sklabiňa

Summary
Sklabiňa (Szklabinya) is a village and municipality in Martin District in the Žilina Region of northern Slovakia. Names The name is derived from the word Sclavus, Sclabus (Slav). In historical records the village was first mentioned in 1242 - Zklabonya, later as Sclabonya (1252), Sclouuan (Slovan - the native name of Slavs, 1266), Sclabana (1309) but also as Szklabinka (1736) or in the Hungarized form Szklabinya (1786). History The locality was settled already by the people of Púchov culture who built a hillfort near the present-day village. The remains of the hillfort were reused in the Early Middle Ages by the Slavs. The village has always had a close relationship to the castle, the seat of Turiec County. During the World War II the village became the center of the partisan movement. On 21 August 1944 (one week before the Slovak National Uprising), Sklabiňa became the first village where the partisans raised the Czechoslovak flag and declared that it is a libera
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading