Concept

USS Pinkney

Summary
USS Pinkney (APH-2) was a Tryon-class evacuation transport that was assigned to the U.S. Navy during World War II. Pinkney served in the Pacific Ocean theatre of operations and returned home safely post-war with six battle stars but missing 18 crew members who were killed in action. In 1947 she was acquired by the U.S. Army who renamed her USAT Pvt. Elden H. Johnson and retained her in Army service until 1950 when she was returned to the Navy and assigned to the Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS) as USNS Pvt. Elden H Johnson (T-AP-184). Built in Oakland, California USS Pinkney (APH-2) was laid down as Alcoa Corsair (MC hull 176), 3 June 1941, by the Moore Dry Dock Co., Oakland, California; launched 4 December 1941; sponsored by Miss Ruth Grove; designated for U.S. Navy use and assigned the name Mercy. After the bombing of Pearl Harbor, she was renamed Pinkney, 13 August 1942; acquired, by the U.S. Navy, 27 November 1942; and commissioned the same day. World Wa
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading