Concept

Classical Gymnasium in Zagreb

Summary
The Classical Gymnasium (Klasična gimnazija) is a gymnasium high school (similar to a grammar school in England and Wales) situated in Zagreb, Croatia. It was founded by the Society of Jesus in 1607. In its first year it had 260 students and it operated on the basis of the Jesuit programme "Ratio atque institutio studiorum societatis Jesu". History It was founded in 1607 by the Jesuits, who had recently settled in the Kingdom of Croatia (Habsburg) and Slavonia within the Habsburg monarchy. The gymnasium began operation on the initiative of the Zagreb City Council, with the approval of the Croatian Parliament (Sabor) and strong support of Ban of Croatia Ivan Drašković. Jesuit Ivan Žanić became its first rector, with 260 students enrolling in its first year. The gymnasium official opened on June 3, 1607, in a ceremony attended by Bishop of Zagreb Šimun Bratulić, ban Ivan Drašković and others. On the day of the opening ceremony, a Latin Language drama "Actio comica" was stage
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading