Concept

East Pennard

Summary
East Pennard is a village and civil parish north west of Castle Cary, and south of Shepton Mallet, in the Mendip district of Somerset, England. It has a population of 348. The parish includes the hamlets of Stone, Parbrook and Huxham. It is very close to the site of the Glastonbury Festival. Residents receive free tickets to the Festival. History The village takes its name from the Brythonic family of Celtic languages: penn-ardd meaning high hill. The estate was granted by King Edred to Aelfgyth, a nun of Wilton and she transferred it to Glastonbury Abbey which retained it until the Dissolution of the monasteries in 1539. It then given to William Paulet and eventually to his descendants the Napiers of Tintinhull. Stone was part of the hundred of Carhampton, while East Pennard was part of the Whitstone Hundred. Governance The parish council has responsibility for local issues, including setting an annual precept (local rate)
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading