Concept

HMS Dalrymple

Summary
HMS Dalrymple was a anti-aircraft frigate of the British Royal Navy, which served as a survey ship, mostly in the Persian Gulf, from 1948 until 1965. She was completed to deal with the large numbers of uncharted wrecks and mines around the British Isles as a result of World War II. For this purpose she was fitted for minesweeping. She was named for the pioneering Hydrographer of the Admiralty Alexander Dalrymple (1737–1808). Construction The ship was originally ordered from William Pickersgill & Sons Ltd. of Southwick, Sunderland, on 25 January 1943 as the Loch Glass. However the contract was changed in 1944, and the ship was laid down as Admiralty Job Number 4795 on 29 April 1944 to a revised design as a Bay-class anti-aircraft frigate, and launched on 12 April 1945 as Luce Bay. After launching the contract was terminated and the ship was towed to Devonport Dockyard for completion, but while fitting out it was decided to complete her as a survey ship. In January 1947 her
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading