Concept

Stow Maries

Summary
Stow Maries is a village and civil parish in the English county of Essex. It is located on the western (inland) end of the Dengie peninsula and forms part of the Purleigh ward in the Maldon district. The place-name 'Stow Maries' is first attested in the Feet of Fines for 1230, where it appears as Stowe. In a Feudal aid of 1420 it appears as Stowe Mareys. The name means 'place belonging to the Marisc family'. (Robert de Marisc held the manor in 1250. The name comes from Marais in France, meaning 'marsh' – the words are cognate.) Stow Maries Aerodrome Stow Maries Aerodrome An Aerodrome was established at Stow Maries in September 1916 during the First World War for the Royal Flying Corps. By 1919 the need for airfields lessened and Stow Maries was closed. The site was considered for development as an airfield during the Second World War but considered unsuitable due to the clay soil. Even though not opened it played a role nonetheless, being bombed by the Luftwaffe and used as
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading