Concept

Colsterdale

Summary
Colsterdale is the valley of the River Burn, a tributary of the River Ure, in the Yorkshire Dales in North Yorkshire, England. It gives its name to a hamlet and civil parish in the upper part of the dale, about west of Masham. The population of the civil parish was estimated at 20 in 2010. The lower part of the dale around the hamlet of Gollinglith Foot is in the civil parish of Healey. The area is in Harrogate district. Although Colsterdale is not in Nidderdale, it lies within the Nidderdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Colsterdale is part of the privately owned Swinton Estate. The Colsterdale towers are towers built between 1895 and 1911 to conduct surveys. History The name, first recorded in 1281, means "coalman valley". There was a coal mine here in the 14th century. Colsterdale was historically divided between the parishes of East Witton and Masham in the North Riding of Yorkshire. The upper part of the inhabited dale, above Gollinglith Foot, was a deta
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading