Concept

Camp Bowie

Summary
Camp Bowie is a United States National Guard training center located in west-central Texas on the southern outskirts of Brownwood. History Camp Bowie, named in honor of the Texas patriot James Bowie, was a military training facility during World War II, and was the third camp in Texas to be so named. From 1940 to 1946, it grew to be one of the largest training centers in Texas. In 1940, the war situation in Europe caused the United States Congress to determine that the time had arrived to strengthen the defense system. President Franklin D. Roosevelt was handed the power to mobilize the National Guard units. The 36th Division of the Texas National Guard unit arrived at Camp Bowie, located then in Fort Worth, in mid-December for their year's training, but before training was finished, war had been declared. On September 19, 1940, the War Department announced that a camp would be built at Brownwood, Texas. Work began at the campsite on September 27, 1940. The camp was the fi
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading