Concept

Roby and Northern Railroad

Summary
The Roby and Northern Railroad was constructed in 1915 to connect the agricultural community of Roby, Texas with a connection to the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway at North Roby, then known as Old Fisher, both located in Fisher County, Texas, a few miles north of Sweetwater. There was a need to move agricultural products (such as cotton) passengers, and livestock the four and one-half miles north to the Waco-Rotan branch of the MKT. The original railroad was equipped with steam locomotives, but in 1922 the owners made the decision to abandon the line. The concerned citizens of Roby were able to raise $10,000.00 to assist the local utility company, West Texas Utilities Company, to convert the railroad to electrical power. This was accomplished in 1923, and rail service was to be continued. The operating corporation was headquartered in Roby. The electric locomotive was shipped in parts to Memphis Tennessee from back east and assembled from its various component parts before being
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading