Concept

Varakļāni Palace

Summary
Varakļāni Palace (Varakļānu muižas pils) is a palace in Varakļāni, Varakļāni Municipality in the historical region of Latgale, in Latvia. History After the end of the Livonian War in 1583, von der Borch family acquired the Vark castle district, it was called "Vark land" ( Warkland , Warkelen). The palace was designed by the Italian architect Vincenzo Macotti at the request of the estate owner, the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth diplomat Count Michał Jan Borch. Construction started in 1783 and completed in 1789. After the death of Count Borch in 1810, his wife, Eleonor Christine (1766-1844), and later their son, Karol Borch (1798-1861), whose daughter Maria married Paweł Roman Sanguszko (1834–1876), operated the palace. After his death, the manor was inherited by their daughter, Teresa Sanguszko-Kowelska (1864-1954), who married Leon Paweł Sapieha (1856-1893). After Latvian Agrarian Reform in 1920s Varaklani Manor was nationalized and subdivided. From 1921 to 1944 the Var
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

No results

Related concepts

No results

Related courses

No results

Related lectures

Loading