Concept

SU-76

Summary
The SU-76 (Samokhodnaya Ustanovka 76) was a Soviet light self-propelled gun used during and after World War II. The SU-76 was based on a lengthened version of the T-70 light tank chassis and armed with the ZIS-3 mod. 1942 divisional field gun. Its quite simple construction and multipurpose combat role made it the second most produced Soviet armoured fighting vehicle of World War II, after the T-34 medium tank. History SU-76 Design of the SU-76 began in June 1942, when the State Defense Committee (GKO) ordered the construction of infantry support self-propelled guns armed with the ZIS-3 76 mm divisional field gun and the M-30 122 mm howitzer. The T-70 light tank chassis was chosen by chief designer S.A. Ginzburg for mounting the ZIS-3 gun, and was lengthened, adding one road wheel per side, to facilitate better gun mounting. The vehicle had fully closed armored gun compartment. The crew consisted of four men: commander (usually Junior lieutenant), driver-mechani
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading