Concept

Olyokminsk

Summary
Olyokminsk (Олёкминск; Өлүөхүмэ, Ölüöxüme) is a town and the administrative center of Olyokminsky District in the Sakha Republic, Russia, southwest of Yakutsk, the capital of the republic. As of the 2010 Census, its population was 9,494. History It was founded in 1635 as an ostrog by the Cossacks led by Pyotr Beketov, sited on the left bank of the Lena opposite the mouth of the Olyokma River. The outpost was later moved a few kilometers upstream, to a location less prone to flooding in spring. As the junction for river traffic on the Lena and Olyokma, it was the base for Russian expeditions further east and eventually became a trade center on the river route to Yakutsk. Town status was granted to it in 1783. Decembrists Nikolay Chizhov and Andrey Andreyev were exiled here. During World War II, an airfield was built here for the Alaska-Siberian (ALSIB) air route used to ferry American Lend-Lease aircraft to the Eastern Front. Geography The town is located on
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading