Concept

Great Elm

Summary
Great Elm is a village and civil parish between Mells and Frome in the Mendip district of Somerset, England. The parish includes the hamlet of Hapsford. History The name Great Elm was recorded as Telma in the Domesday Book of 1086, and then as Teames in 1236 which is a contraction of aet elm at the elm tree. Little Elm developed into the village of Chantry. At Tedbury Camp southwest of the village a pot of Roman coins was dug up in 1961. After the Norman Conquest the manor was held by the Giffards and later by the Hidges family and then the Stracheys. The parish was part of the hundred of Frome. For many years in the 18th and 19th centuries Great Elm was the site of water powered mills owned by James Fussell IV. The Stracheys owned Rock House for a period early in the 20th century. Hapsford House on Hapsford Hill is a 19th-century country house. The Jackdaws Music Education Trust has been based in the village since 1993. Govern
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading