Concept

Great Elm

Résumé
Great Elm is a village and civil parish between Mells and Frome in the Mendip district of Somerset, England. The parish includes the hamlet of Hapsford. History The name Great Elm was recorded as Telma in the Domesday Book of 1086, and then as Teames in 1236 which is a contraction of aet elm at the elm tree. Little Elm developed into the village of Chantry. At Tedbury Camp southwest of the village a pot of Roman coins was dug up in 1961. After the Norman Conquest the manor was held by the Giffards and later by the Hidges family and then the Stracheys. The parish was part of the hundred of Frome. For many years in the 18th and 19th centuries Great Elm was the site of water powered mills owned by James Fussell IV. The Stracheys owned Rock House for a period early in the 20th century. Hapsford House on Hapsford Hill is a 19th-century country house. The Jackdaws Music Education Trust has been based in the village since 1993. Govern
À propos de ce résultat
Cette page est générée automatiquement et peut contenir des informations qui ne sont pas correctes, complètes, à jour ou pertinentes par rapport à votre recherche. Il en va de même pour toutes les autres pages de ce site. Veillez à vérifier les informations auprès des sources officielles de l'EPFL.
Publications associées

Chargement

Personnes associées

Chargement

Unités associées

Chargement

Concepts associés

Chargement

Cours associés

Chargement

Séances de cours associées

Chargement